Dispute (also known as Chargeback) as the name suggests is a disagreement against a particular transaction initiated by the end consumer, who has paid for the product or service. End customer raises a dispute with his/her issuing bank. It is a service provided by the issuing bank/ card network to protect customers from unauthorized and fraudulent transactions.
Disputes generally occur due to displeasing customer experience originating from:
- Poor product/service quality
- Delivery or refund/returns issue from the merchant side
- A fraudulent transaction will also attract a dispute from the customer’s end
Whenever a customer raises a dispute, we get notified to facilitate the investigation further. Till the time a transaction is under dispute, refunds against that transaction are prohibited.
Paytm’s Chargeback system allocates a proper Dispute ID to an incoming chargeback.
- Merchants are notified using emails/S2S notifications based on the creation of a new dispute against a transaction
- Merchants can accept/defend and manage the entire lifecycle of the dispute through Paytm Dashboard i.e. UMP or by using Dispute Action API
- The complete lifecycle of a dispute is visible to the merchant on the merchant dashboard
- Disputes are currently raised for Credit Card, Debit Card, and UPI transactions only